Can we talk about makeup for a minute? Santa brought me the Orla Kiely makeup bag I’ve been drooling over, and I’ve had beauty on the brain ever since. So, what’s your daily routine like? Mine is fairly low-key: In my makeup bag, I currently have a mix of about 10 drugstore staples and beauty counter cosmetics that I use every day.
My must-haves range from a $2.88 dry shampoo to a $70 fragrance set, so there’s something for any price point. Let’s review!
1. Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara – When it comes to full-volume mascara, this stuff is awesome. I quickly curl my eyelashes before swiping it on, and it really makes my peepers pop. (I have it in Absolute Black.) It might be too heavy for those of you with fairer complexions, but it works well for me. This mascara is a little pricey at $27.99, so I was excited to receive it as a birthday gift. In a pinch, I use Covergirl Lashblast, which is similar and much more affordable, but gets clumpy faster. You get what you pay for, and I think this mascara is worth the department store price.
2. Clinique Colour Surge Eye Shadow Palette – Everyone needs a simple, go-to shadow. The palette featured above includes Clinique’s Lucky Penny, Night Plum, Clementine, and Pink Chocolate. The palette I use was part of a gift set I got last year (The shadow lasts forever!), but it’s no longer in production (Boo!). My eyes are green-hazel, and my go to colors are neutrals (chocolate and cream) with a hint of shimmer. I also enjoy blending a rich plum color, which makes my green eyes pop. These palettes are great because they don’t stress me out with too many options (i.e. colors I’ll never use!) and the flip-top mirror allows me to stow + go.
3. Burt’s Bees Lip Gloss – I’ve been needing some new lip gloss, so when I saw a Burt’s Bees combo set clearanced at Target, I thought I’d give it a try. I’m so glad I did! I love buying beauty items with 100 percent natural ingredients. (I kiss my babies all the time, and I hate leaving traces of chemicals over their sweet, soft skin!) The gloss is thick without being too sticky, shimmery without being too…over-the-top. It has a nice, soft smell. I have Starry Night (plum tones) and Sunny Day (neutral, coral tones).
4. Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil – Full disclosure: I’m a pretty big fan of Bare Minerals. As you now know, I dig natural beauty products — and I really like the look and feel of Bare Minerals. However, it gets expensive to buy the entire brand, which is why I have a crush on the Mineral Veil. No matter what foundation, brush, or bronzer, I’m wearing, this loose, translucent powder sets everything, leaving my face soft and smooth — and my makeup much less likely to rub off. (Busy mamas, can I get an amen?!)
5. Philosophy Supernatural Lit from Within Cream Blush – Oh, philosophy. Talk about branding that works on me! With charming names and fabulous scents, I’m a big fan. (Tip: TJ Maxx is a great place for scoring a good deal on last season’s items!) But while their lotions, cremes, and body washes are in high demand, philosophy has discontinued much of their makeup line. This saddens me greatly. Because a lot of their items were really good, like this cream blush. I dab just a bit on the apples of my cheeks, and it gives just a hint of natural color. I’ve been stretching the same blush for two years (is that kosher?) because I love it so much.
6. Lancome 24 Hr. Artliner – Not only does Lancome put out a stellar mascara, but their eyeliner is five-stars as well! I have a Lancome kohl pencil as well, which has lasted me forever, but the pencil tends to melt away, which isn’t great when you’re trying to go from morning to night with no touch-ups. This liquid eyeliner is phenom — it lasts all day! Sweep a small line on the top of your lashes (use a steady hand!) and go on with your bad self.
7. Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter – Ohmygoshyouguys! So. Good. I found out about these lip butters from my beauty blogger friend Ivy. She’s a graphic-artist-turned-makeup-artist, and her review convinced me to try one. (While you’re at it, check out her blog, Wake Up For Makeup. Her reviews and tutorials are amazing!) Anyway, back to these lovely lip butters. Right now, I have Pink Truffle, Berry Smoothie, and Peach Parfait. They have great pigment and leave my lips feeling smooth and soft. You can snag one at any drugstore for around $6-8 — or buy now on Amazon. (It looks great under the Burt’s Bees gloss!)
8. Philosophy Grace Wardrobe Set – I do believe that angels may in fact smell like philosophy’s Grace fragrance. I used to find myself sniffing my friend Ashley, and I learned it’s because Amazing Grace is her signature scent. It’s so divine that I wish I could offer a scratch-and-sniff sticker to you (Come on, technology!). My lovely mom gave me this Wardrobe Set last year for my birthday, and it includes bottles of Amazing Grace, Pure Grace, Inner Grace and Living Grace, ready to be worn alone or layered. The smells are so light, fresh, clean, and feminine. Get yourself to a Sephora and breathe them in! You might just float away.
9. Maybelline New York Mineral Power Foundation – As we’ve discussed, I have a thing for mineral makeup, but I also don’t have big budget. I bought this mineral powder foundation in a pinch, and I’m not sure I’ll go back to paying triple the price for Bare Minerals. While it doesn’t boast as natural of ingredients, it does have a great price and pretty nice coverage, especially when paired with the Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil.
10. Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Dry Shampoo – Okay, so this isn’t technically makeup, but it’s on my counter by my makeup bag, so bear with me. I have to include it because it’s so awesome! I don’t have time to wash and dry my hair every morning, and as we all know, that’s not healthy for hair anyway. I’m a big fan of this aerosol dry shampoo. It provides volume, extends a blowout, and is incredibly affordable. My roots are darker, so I really have to use a light hand when applying, otherwise it looks like I’m really going gray fast. 😉 I also like spraying it under my fringe bangs to keep them from getting gross and oily. Ladies, snag some of this stuff. I love it!
So, what are your go-to beauty items? What did I miss? I’d love to know!
*Affiliate links used when applicable