Valentine’s Day is almost here, and guys, I’m here to help you avoid a disaster.
While you should be making the ladies in your life feel appreciated and adored every day, I think we all know Valentine’s Day is a day that you do not want to mess up. So, I’ve found some sweet gift ideas for your lovely valentine. Whether she’s your wife of many years or you’ve just started dating, your girl will appreciate these thoughtful gifts.
Helpful gift-buying hints before we get started: No boxes of chocolates, cleaning supplies, cheesy cards (unless they’re ironic) or sweatpants. Just. Say. No.
1. Sevenly’s ‘In The Heart’ Print Hearts don’t have to be a Valentine cliche. This pretty, handlettered print is perfect for framing at home or in the office. (Also, it’s really big!) It says: “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched, but are felt in the heart.” Aw. For $24, it’s a thoughtful and affordable gift. If you haven’t heard of Sevenly, $7 from the purchase of each item offered on sevenly.org is donated to the cause of the week. (This week’s cause is the Polaris Project, which helps rescue girls from sex trafficking here in the U.S.)
2. Custom iPhone Case Giving your girl something custom shows that you put thought, time, and effort into your gift. I like the idea of a freshly designed iPhone case, but a custom journal (like this brushed Chevron one) is a charming idea, too. I picked the Snapshot Sparkle design, because gold glitter is ALL THE RAGE right now. It’s made of shatter-proof plastic with a black bezel to protect her screen. (Just…don’t put a picture of the gift recipient on the case. Who wants to talk on a phone with a picture of themselves? Awkward. Go with a cute photo of your kid or your puppy or really anything else.)
3. Sweet Memo-ries Notepad I said no boxes of chocolate, and I meant it, but this sweet little notepad makes me LOL. And, the wordplay in the product description pleases me: Sometimes sitting down at your desk feels bittersweet, but making notes atop the cocoa-brown paper of this pad from Chronicle Books really sweetens the deal. I don’t think I’m the only one who loves kitschy office supplies, and at $8.99, it’s a low-cost gift for the quirky girl in your life. (While you’re there, these shoes make my heart go pitter patter.)
4. Got All the Antlers Necklace Remember when I said gold sparkles are so totally in right now? So are deer. So get one of these golden buck pendants for your dear. (Sorry.) I just think it’s really cute and if you are shopping for the 35-and-under crowd, your valentine will probably like it, too.
5. Chevron Infinity Scarf I’m pretty confident in this: You can’t go wrong with a scarf and chevrons. I like the gray and yellow version of this cotton infinity scarf, but with more than 20 color combos available, there’s something for every style. And at only $8.79 (originally $24.99!), why not buy a few?
6. Equal Exchange Love Buzz Coffee This dark and smoky favorite has sweet velvety layers of chocolate brownie, caramel corn, malt and toffee. Yes, please. And, these beans are fairly traded direct from small farmer cooperatives in Latin America. Order from Amazon for just $9.55 and woo your wife with breakfast in bed, complete with cup of freshly brewed coffee. (Jonny, if you’re reading, I wouldn’t hate that.)
7. Bread & Wine I’ve been hearing so much about this book by Shauna Niequist…and only good things. A mix of Anne Lamott and Barefoot Contessa, it promises to be a funny, honest, and vulnerable spiritual memoir. Bread and Wine is “a celebration of food shared, reminding readers of the joy found in a life around the table.” It’d make a great gift for a Valentine who loves food and values the community and connection of family and friends around the table. While I love e-books, I think this is the type of book that is best read in hardcopy format ($13.90). (Also, the recipes she includes are apparently a-mazing.) Now I feel like I might have to give this to myself…
8. Bear Girl Stuffed Companion Okay, how cute is this little critter? It’s hand-stitched from hand-dyed wool felt and is part of the Kata Golda designer collection. (Oh, you fancy now?) I think this would be charming for a special little girl in your life. (Baby’s first Valentine’s Day?) As adorable as Kata Golda products are, they’re also eco-friendly: By using every little scrap of material and reusing supplies as much as possible, Kata Golda strives to produce zero waste and have the lowest impact on the environment possible. It’s originally $82 (wow!) but on sale for $55.
9. Philosophy Amazing Grace Fragrance I know, I’ve talked about this perfume before. But it’s just so light and feminine and clean and fresh and all of the nice things a perfume should be. It’s kind of a no-fail Valentine’s Day present, so, you’re welcome. (And, it’s a good last-minute gift, thanks to two-day shipping.)
So, what do you think? Will you still opt for a heart-shaped box of chocolates and a singing card? (Please, for the love of all things, do not.)
*Affiliate links used when applicable