As we walk into the unknown and trust God that he will form our family in the ways only He can, we go through all of the paperwork and processes to ensure this adoption is done correctly and ethically.
We’ve just completed our home study, the giant 500-billion-page document written by a social worker who has poured over every detail of our lives to ensure that we are approved to be an adoptive family.
Adoption, as I’m sure you’ve probably heard, can be costly. Social workers, attorneys, agencies — each are compensated to ensure things are handled the right way. We’re a young family that has been saving for a second adoption since we completed our first. Every Christmas gift, every extra bit, has gone into a special account for “someday.” And someday is here!
My husband is a pastor who took on an extra job as a high school speech coach this year, and I’m a freelance writer/editor who has taken on extra projects to make this adoption a reality. We are also trying to think of creative ways to tackle the fees.
Here’s where the fun part comes in: We’re hosting a GIANT shop-our-closets sale this coming Monday, April 27 at 7 p.m.
These shop-my-closet sales have become so popular on Instagram, and I love them! (I love scoring thrifted treasures — you can have on-point style on a budget!)
As you’ve seen in the past, thinking creatively about our closets is something that is close to my heart. (Remember this closet-clean-out fundraiser sale I held for our Nigerian-American friends’ adoption?) Shopping consignment is an ethical, sustainable choice — not to mention, affordable!
Think of this sale as us doing the dirty work for you — all you have to do is sit back and bid away — knowing that 100 percent of all money is going directly to our adoption account. You’ll get some crazy-awesome deals, and you’ll be entering into the work God is doing to provide waiting little ones a permanent, loving family.
- I gathered more than 10 of my most stylish friends of all shapes and sizes, and together, we cleaned out our closets.
- We have around 200 gently-worn items in quality brands (think J. Crew, Banana Republic, Gap, Free People, Anthropologie, Sevenly). Basically, my basement looks like an amazing women’s boutique right now. You’re going to want this stuff!
- We’re selling it ALL (think 25+ dresses, 75+ tops, skirts, ethically-made jewelry, scarves, heels) in a HUGE Instagram auction-style fundraiser to combat adoption fees.
- To join in on the sale: Follow us at @craigsadopt, and get those bidding fingers ready!
- Each item will have a fairly low starting bid price, though we hope you have fun and bid generously! The sale will go on for 24 hours.
- To bid, you must have a PayPal account. If you don’t, go sign up here!
We want others to know that adoption is worth it, because at the end of the journey, there’s a child who is going to feel a family’s love and there will be a family whose lives are changed by the love of a child.
Giveaway time: We’re giving away the gorgeous Santa Fe necklace below, ethically handmade from women in Haiti through Vi Bella ($35 value). Share about the image above on Instagram with the date/time (Monday, April 27 at 7 p.m.) and tag us in the status (@craigsadopt) for an entry, and tag friends for more entries. (We’ll draw a winner Tuesday, April 28 – no purchase necessary, U.S. residents only.)
Thank you for entering into our story.